How to make Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose fl our
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1⁄2 cup whole buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk together sweet potato and buttermilk. Stir sweet potato mixture into fl our mixture just until combined (dough will be sticky).
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 5 times. Roll dough to 3⁄4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut dough, and place on prepared pan, gently rerolling scraps to use all dough.
Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Serve immediately.