- 50g unsalted butter
- 150ml water
- pinch of salt
- 75g plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 2 large eggs
15ml caster sugar
1 large egg for glazing, beaten with a pinch of salt
Simple Choux Pastry instruction
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF. Line baking sheets with baking paper.
- In the saucepan warm up the butter, water, salt and sugar (if you choose to use it) and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and add the flour. Stir quickly until the mixture forms a clean ball of dough. Remove from the heat and let to cool slightly.
- Slowly one by one add the eggs, beating well until the mixture stands in soft peaks.
- Fill a piping bag with the warm mixture and pipe the buns or small fingers onto the baking sheets.
- Brush the tops with the remaining egg. Bake for 10 minutes until puffed and golden then lower the temperature to180ºC/350ºF and bake for a further 15 minutes. The buns should be crisp and dry.
- On removing from the oven, quickly pierce the side of each bun with a skewer to let the steam out and place on a wire rack to cool.
We're sorry you didn't like this recipe!
Let us improve this recipe!
Tell us how we can do to improve this recipe?