A Keto Swiss Roll is a low-carb version of the classic dessert that is made with a thin sponge cake, filled with cream and fresh berries. Instead of using traditional flour and sugar in the sponge cake, the keto version uses almond flour, coconut flour, and erythritol as a sweetener.
To make the keto Swiss roll, the sponge cake is baked flat in a rectangular pan, then rolled up with a filling of whipped cream and fresh berries. The filling is made by whipping heavy cream until it forms soft peaks, then folding in a mixture of fresh berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
Once the sponge cake has cooled, it is spread with the whipped cream and berry mixture, leaving a small border around the edges. The cake is then carefully rolled up into a tight spiral, with the cream and berries forming a colorful and delicious filling.
The keto Swiss roll is a perfect dessert for those who are following a low-carb or keto diet, but still want to indulge in a sweet treat. It is also a great way to use up fresh berries when they are in season and makes an impressive and beautiful dessert for any occasion.
Ingredients for sponge cake:
- 1 cup (112g) almond flour (UK)*
- 4 Tbsp (57g) butter – melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (36g) psyllium husk powder (UK)*
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut milk (UK)*
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (48g) sweetener like erythritol (UK)*/xylitol (UK)*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (UK)*
- 1 tsp baking powder (UK)*
- 1/4 cup (22g) of cacao (UK)* – optional
Preparing sponge cake
- To prepare the mixture, simply combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then, mix the two together until they’re fully combined.
- Once you’ve created your mixture, spread it evenly onto a baking sheet and pop it into a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes at 170-180°C. This will give your creation just the right amount of time to bake into a delicious, perfectly textured treat that you’re sure to love.
- Once the sponge cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Gently roll up the sponge cake with the parchment paper still attached, and leave it to cool for a further 5-10 minutes.
- While the sponge cake is baking, get ready to whip up a light and airy cream that’s bursting with fruity flavor! Begin by dissolving the gelatin in a few tablespoons of boiling water, and allow it to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until it’s nice and stiff. When the cream is nearly ready, add in the sugar and the cooled gelatin, and continue to whisk until everything is fully combined.
Putting roulade together
- Carefully unroll the sponge cake and spread the whipped cream and berry mixture over it, leaving a small border around the edges. Having a piping bag with a nozzle would be helpful for spreading the cream on the cake, but it’s not necessary.
- Then, add your favorite fruits on top for a pop of color and a burst of juicy goodness.
- Roll the cake back up into a tight spiral, using the parchment paper to help you.
- Chill the Swiss roll in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious keto Swiss roll with cream and berries!
We're sorry you didn't like this recipe!
Let us improve this recipe!
Tell us how we can do to improve this recipe?
How long the Keto Swiss Roll recipe may take?
The time it takes to make a keto Swiss roll with cream and berries will depend on your level of experience in the kitchen and how familiar you are with the recipe. However, I can give you a rough estimate of the time required.
Preparation time for the keto Swiss roll should take around 20-25 minutes, which includes gathering all the necessary ingredients, preheating the oven, and preparing the sponge cake batter. The baking time will vary depending on your oven, but it typically takes around 10-15 minutes to bake the sponge cake.
After baking, the sponge cake needs to cool for a few minutes before being filled with the whipped cream and berry mixture. This step should take around 5-10 minutes.
Once the filling is added, the cake needs to be carefully rolled up and placed in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes to an hour, to allow the filling to set and the flavors to meld together.
Overall, you can expect the total time required for making a keto Swiss roll with cream and berries to be around 1 hour and 30 minutes, give or take a few minutes depending on your cooking skills and kitchen equipment.