Korean Style Popcorn Chicken is a popular Korean street food that has gained popularity around the world in recent years. This crispy and flavorful dish is made by coating bite-sized pieces of chicken in a mixture of cornflour and spices, and then deep-frying them until golden brown.
The chicken is then tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce, made with soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, and other flavorful ingredients. The result is a delicious combination of crispy, tender chicken and a sticky, flavorful sauce that packs a punch.
Korean Style Popcorn Chicken is often served with spicy kimchi, a traditional Korean side dish made from fermented vegetables. The heat from the kimchi balances out the sweetness of the sauce, creating a delicious and well-rounded flavor profile.
This dish is perfect for sharing with friends and family, or as a delicious snack to enjoy on your own. It’s easy to make and can be customized to suit your personal tastes by adjusting the level of spice or sweetness in the sauce.
For the Popcorn Chicken:
- 1/2 pound (230-250g) boneless chicken fillet, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) cornstarch (UK)*
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (100g) bread crumbs, crumbled cornflakes, or coarsely powdered oats
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (UK)*
- Oil, for deep frying
For the Sauce:
- 3/4 cup (175ml) soy sauce (UK)*
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar (UK)*
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) sesame oil (UK)*
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) rice wine vinegar (UK)*
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (UK)*
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or sliced red chili
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Sriracha sauce (UK)*
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated garlic
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (UK)*
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) water
- In a bowl, mix together the chicken, egg, cornflour, salt, and turmeric until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, place the bread crumbs, cornflakes, or powdered oats.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the breadcrumb mixture until fully covered. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the popcorn chicken on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, water, sesame oil, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, Sriracha, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and scallion. Whisk the ingredients together to make the sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Create a slurry by mixing the cornflour and water together in a small bowl. Whisk the slurry into the sauce until it thickens. Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Toss the popcorn chicken with the sauce until well coated. Serve with spicy kimchi. Enjoy!
We're sorry you didn't like this recipe!
Let us improve this recipe!
Tell us how we can do to improve this recipe?
How long it will take to make Korean style Popcorn Chicken
The total time for making Korean Style Popcorn Chicken with BBQ sauce may take around 45-50 minutes, which includes the preparation time and cooking time.
Here’s an overview of the amount of time each step takes:
- Preparation: 15-20 minutes (this includes cutting chicken, mixing batter, and preparing the sauce)
- Frying: 10-15 minutes (depending on the quantity of chicken and the size of your frying pan, you may need to fry the chicken in batches)
- Sauce: 10-15 minutes (to make the sauce and cook it until thickened)
Keep in mind that these are approximate times and may vary depending on your cooking speed and equipment.